Newly released mobile RPG Genshin Impact from Chinese publisher miHoYo generated approximately $60 million in player spending on the App Store and Google Play during the week following its official launch on September 28, Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data shows.
During its launch week, the title was the No. 2 grossing mobile game worldwide, behind Honor of Kings from Tencent at No. 1 and above PUBG Mobile from Tencent at No. 3. According to Sensor Tower Game Taxonomy, it was the No. 1 earning mobile RPG in the world for the week, ranking above genre heavyweights such as Monster Strike from Mixi at No. 2 and Fate/Grand Order from Sony Aniplex at No. 3.
The title has proven hugely popular both in China and globally, with the Chinese version of the game accumulating close to $25 million in player spending to date on Apple’s App Store there, or close to 42 percent of its total revenue, not including third-party Android stores. The game has generated the majority of sales outside the country, however, racking up close to $35 million in the rest of the world, or about 58 percent of its revenue so far.
China ranks No. 1 for revenue globally, followed by Japan at No. 2, with players in the country spending approximately $17 million, or close to 29 percent of total revenue. The United States, meanwhile, ranks No. 3 for player spending, generating $8 million, or about 13 percent of the total.
In China, Genshin Impact ranked as the No. 3 top grossing title in the country during its launch week. Meanwhile, in Japan it also ranked No. 3, and in the U.S. it was the No. 5 revenue-generating mobile game.
Globally, the App Store accounts for the majority of player spending in Genshin Impact, making up $42 million of revenue, or about 70 percent of the total. Google Play, meanwhile, accounts for approximately $17.7 million, or close to 30 percent of spending.
Genshin Impact is one of the biggest global launches ever for a Chinese game publisher. It’s not uncommon for a major launch within China, while RPGs in Asia can also notably release with high levels of player spending. However, what’s unique about miHoYo’s title is its success both at home and abroad, making it the No.2 grossing mobile game in the world in its launch week. It’s a signal of China’s increasing global influence on the games market and the ability of its publishers to release universally successful titles, much like PUBG Mobile, as well as the popularity of these types of expansive, console- and PC-like experiences as they increasingly become available on smart devices.
Sensor Tower’s Store Intelligence platform is an Enterprise level offering. Interested in learning more?